Welcome to my Blog

Hello visitors!
This is my blog that I am creating as part of a State Library of Victoria Training program.
I have deciced to call my blog Close the Gap , because maybe doing this will close the gap in my knowledge about Web 2.0.
MORE IMPORTANTLY :
Close the Gap is Australia's largest campaign to improve Indigenous Health. It involves both Indigenous and non-Indigenous organisations, including Oxfam Australia. The campaign calls on federal, state and territory governments to commit to closing the life expectancy gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians within a generation.
http://www.oxfam.org.au/campaigns/indigenous-health/
I am experimenting as I learn more along the way, and it is a bit of a journal of my learning . I have also decided to make it a bit of a chronicle of my almost all pervasive passion for Indigenous issues, literature, music, art and culture.

Monday, October 1, 2007

Technology Post - RFID

This is my post on something technological .
Not only can we tag cows, but we can tag books too....
I think that one of the most exciting technological initiatives in libraries over the last few years is the use of RFID. (Radio Frequency IDentification).
I hope that this technology will help to free up Library Professionals so that we can provide better reference, and diverse services to Library users. Qualified Librarians that currently spend most of their time on circulation tasks, can be relieved of these roles through the use of RFID and then they would be : more available for reader development, assisting patrons with computers, assisting with online databases.

We could get out from behind the desk and proactively assist patrons in the library, as well as delivering more high quality programs!!!

Here are some links to libraries using RFID

The Gold Coast Library was the first Library in Australia to implement the use of RFID
across its Library Services.

In June this year Yarra Plenty Library Service announced that it would introduce RFID






1 comment:

Emerald said...

unrelated to this actual post, but this is a youtube video on how to make a ninkja shuriken star - wouldve been useful for thursday. makes it look all too easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtlVA7lemuk